Thursday, January 1, 2009

The New Year

January 1, 2009. Many analogies have been made of the passing of an old year and the coming of a new. For me 2009 holds a year of promise that I can be closer to God than I have ever been if I will but do my part. I began reading "To Cross the Widest Ocean" by Mrs. Rick Martin (Becky Martin). In this amazing book, Mrs. Martin shares what she has learned as the wife of a missionary in the Philippines. I highly recommend that any woman read this book.

In this book Mrs. Martin printed Jack Chick's Bible reading plan which I have decided to use for the year 2009. Here is the plan:
Read one chapter from each of the following ten sections and start over as each is finished.
1. Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Acts
2. Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy
3.Romans, I&II Corinthians, Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians, Hebrews
4. I&II Thessalonians; I&II Timothy, Titus, Philemon, James, I&II Peter; I,II&III John; Jude; Revelation
5. Job, Ecclesiastes, Song of Solomon
6. Psalms
7. Proverbs
8. Joshua, Judges, Ruth, I&II Samuel, I&II Kings, I&II Chronicles, Ezra, Nehemiah, Ester
9. Isaiah, Jeremiah, Lamentations, Ezekiel, Daniel, Hosea, Joel, Amos, Obadiah, Jonah, Micah
10. Hebrews chapter 11, I Corinthians 13, alterntely every day.

While I was reading Matthew 1, I realised something for the first time. Verse 13 says, "And Jesse begat David the king; and David the king begat Solomon of her that had been the wife of Urias." Even though Bathsheba experienced being the object of David's lust for her and murder of her husband; through this, she was in the line of the Messiah. Once again, God has reminded me that even in the face of human wickedness He can produce wonderful things that I may never even comprehend in my lifetime. To Him be all honour and praise!

No comments:

Post a Comment